Dear MTB Racers,
As many of you know part of our effort for this weekend is to truly offer a great experience. We have shifted our focus some on the MTB race this year by partnering with DORBA, and are trying to go back to more of a typical USAC XC format. DORBA is the official trail steward for CHSP, and has boots on the ground in order to do what is best by the trail and riders. DORBA is also one of the founding members of TMBRA and puts on races throughout the year. That said, with all the rain we have had this fall, and winter, making wise decisions, in everyone’s best interest has been difficult.
We want to offer a top quality product for the racers. Period. I (Andrew Armstrong) have been in constant contact with DORBA, about making the best decisions to serve you the racers. In other words, I am doing everything I can to do the right thing here. Please be advised that we ARE attempting to run the MTB race on the legendary CHSP single track. The trail is still listed as closed by the state park and on the DORBA websites because they are keeping it closed to allow it to get and stay in the best possible condition. As of now the park plans to open the trail for the race; however, we are making the below changes:
1. At this time the MTB Cross Country race is ON; however, we are moving to a modified 8-9 mile lap where CAT 1 and CAT 2 will do two laps and the cat 3’s doing one lap. The Scholastic will do one lap while the Juniors will do a modified part of the loop with a cut-off making the race about 5 miles in length.
2. Start times are as follows:
- CAT 1 & CAT 2 at 8:00a (as indicated on the original flyer) for 2 laps
- CAT 3 at 9:15a (30-minutes later than originally indicated) for 1 lap
- Scholastic, Junior, and the special All-5 Finisher category at 10:30a (30-minutes later than originally indicated) for 1 lap (Juniors will do a cut-off for 3-5 miles)
PLEASE DO BE ADVISED THAT THE WEATHER FORECAST IS LESS THAN CLEAR ABOUT FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. IF THERE IS FRESH MOISTURE WE UNFORTUNATELY MAY HAVE TO MAKE A GAME TIME CALL TO SHIFT OUR EFFORTS TOWARDS OFFERING A CONSOLATION SHORT TRACK RACE SUNDAY MORNING ON THE SAME COURSE AS THE SATURDAY AFTERNOON SHORT TRACK RACE. WE WILL ONLY DO THIS IF WE DETERMINE THAT THE WEATHER AND TRAIL CONDITIONS WILL DIMINISH THE QUALITY OF THE CROSS COUNTRY RACE FOR THE RIDERS, OR CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE TRAIL.
We absolutely appreciate the efforts by all of the racers to participate and we understand the challenges of uncertainty when it comes to packing bikes and gear to drive hours for a race. We do this for you, and want the best for you. If we have to shift to the consolation short track race and you find that unacceptable then I will be pleased to offer a full refund in an effort to make things right.
Thanks for your patience, and understanding in advance. Thanks also to our partners at DORBA who have been taking the lead in assessing the trail conditions with their vast race production experience and boots on the ground.
If you don’t hear anything from us then presume the cross country mountain bike race is “on” according to the above adjusted schedule.